Last Stop through #GriffinNation

by Alumni Posts on September 21, 2015

Why hello there! Griffins! Hope you’re all well! I’m so glad to be back on the “Real Life at Fontbonne” staff for my very last year as a Fontbonne student (WOO- HOO!!!). The topic of my posts will be about the perspectives and lessons I’ve learned (or am learning) during my time as a Griffin. Let me just start by saying, I am so very grateful to be a part of the Fontbonne family, I have been blessed to meet a ton of great people during my three years on campus. Fontbonne University will forever hold a special place in my heart. I remember when I started my freshman year on campus (hard to believe that was three years ago….), my view of the world was so different; I only saw the world one way at the time. I remember how nervous I was on the first day of class because I thought that since I didn’t have a Catholic background, I wasn’t going to succeed in my classes. I remember going to a professor’s office that semester and crying because I felt I didn’t measure up to the “smart” kids that went to different schools.

Fast forward to the end of my first semester at Fontbonne. I was so nervous to check my grades for the term (that seems to be a theme with me — oh well, what can you do?). I actually did well, better than I thought I did. From that day, I have never doubted my academic abilities again. It was like I was finally getting the academic success I had been working toward for twelve years. I knew then that this journey was going to be well worth my hardships. Each week, I will share some of the lessons I’ve learned as an undergrad student at Fontbonne, and how those lessons have changed my outlook on the world around me and my own life. I’m sharing these things because someone on campus may need to read what I say to get through a tough battle of their own, I just wanna be of help to someone who was in my shoes three years ago.