Quinn

Why Professional Writing?

by Quinn on September 24, 2015

in Academics,After College,Career Paths,First Year at Fontbonne

My whole life I have always been passionate about writing in all it’s forms. From short stories and poetry, to essays and critical analysis I have always loved writing. While in high school I made the decision that I wanted to study writing in college. A majority of people thought I was crazy for this. I always enjoyed the various essays I was assigned throughout school that were loathed by most of the other students. Writing is just something that has always come more naturally and fluidly to me; it was my choice of self-expression. I began to think about possible careers to have that involved writing and the field of journalism always came up. I was fond of the idea of being a journalist but was never all too sure about it. Most schools have journalism programs all more or less focused on the same curriculum. Fontbonne does not have a journalism program, however, it does have a professional writing degree. Fontbonne was the only school that offered a more general writing degree that I was looking at. This piqued my interest because it expanded my possibilities that I could do with this degree. I wouldn’t be stuck in a program that I may end up not wanting to do with my life after all. Even if I have a change in heart in what direction I want to take my writing career I can still stay within the same degree. At this point I am still not sure what it is exactly I want to do with my degree but that’s really what the point of college is in my case.