One Major to Rule Them All!

by Alumni Posts on September 24, 2015

in Academics,Career Paths

I had no idea what I wanted to do when I first set off to college my freshman year. I didn’t declare myself undecided, but I had my sights set high on Biology and doing Pre-Med. I’d grown up wanting to do something like House did (you know, that show with the cynical doctor whose sarcasm was way too inappropriate to probably use in a hospital setting…) However, that dream fell short when my freshman biology class at Truman State knocked me on my butt. Then I moved onto Health Science and Pre-Occupational Therapy. This seemed more ideal at the time. Less schooling, a secure future, good pay, and a variety of people and places to work, but this also fell short having to major in classes that mainly dealt with public and community health and its administration.  I could barely keep my eyes open learning such rigorous material in class.  Needless to say, I was more interested in the Pre-OT part rather than the health bit.

Then things changed and I had to move schools.  I went to community college to figure out some stuff and take some classes that were paid for already having done the A+ Program in high school.  I struggled to find my calling. I even took a business class to see if that would be my forte and… it definitely wasn’t. I wanted to do English because I loved reading and writing books, but I figured I could do that in my spare time if need be, especially since I didn’t want to teach it. Then I heard about Speech-Language Pathology. I had no idea what it was, but I knew it was a promising field to go into. I found out that it had to do with linguistic type aspects and essentially also English in a way with words, grammar, and language. The first class I took here in the major was one that compared the various components of language, and I knew from that moment on that it was what I needed to do with my life. Needless to say, I love it.  I may not be passionate about it like people are about art or literature or psychology, but it’s a field I enjoy where I know I will be able to help others and their language. I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s okay if you’re undecided, it’s ok if you change your major, it happens. You just have to find what works for you.