Quinn

First Impression

by Quinn on September 10, 2015

in First Year at Fontbonne

After living on campus at Fontbonne for more than three weeks, I now have an array of impressions made on me in the opening stages of my college life. There was one thing I instantly realized that I needed to do in order to adjust accordingly to life on campus. Was it having my new living space all set up perfectly to where it accommodates me best? It came to my surprise that simply moving onto campus was a pretty easy task in comparison to the challenges that proceeded the move-in process. In an instant, you go from being surrounded by your loved ones helping you begin this new stage in your adult life, and then, like that, you’re alone. Well, of course you’re never alone on campus, but in a way you are. You’re suddenly paired with numerous unfamiliar faces all around you. It was first impressed on me that this was the first thing that I must do alone: meet people. For some, this is a daunting challenge. Some may be coming from a high school graduating class of less than thirty of peers they have known the entirety of their lives; some may have even been homeschooled and have not interacted with many different people on a regular basis.

I, for one, am used to being forced to meet new people. I have changed schools a number of times throughout my life and have been involved in numerous activities that forced me to meet new faces. After making my acquaintance to a number of people, my anxiety levels lowered and I instantly became more comfortable with my new surroundings. I noticed there were a lot of other people around me who seemed in need of a friend, so I just did the bare minimum and introduced myself to them. It’s a small gesture in itself, but it can have a more profound impact than it appears at first sight. I’ve met an assortment of individuals from people introducing themselves to me as well as returning the favor. You never know what impact a simple “Hey” can have on an individual.