Why Fontbonne, huh?

by Fontbonne University on September 21, 2015

I think I’m becoming what you would call a professional student. I went to college straight out of high school, got my bachelor’s degree from UMSL in communications 4 years later, then continued to go back and take random classes because I still had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Eventually I found out what my true passion is…FOOD! I love cooking and have had my mind set on culinary school the past 2 years. After running into some health problems I did some research on diet and exercise and figured a slight lifestyle change was worth a shot. I changed my diet, joined a gym, and 8 months later I lost 25 pounds and was in the best shape I had ever been in a long long time. More importantly, my health improved dramatically! Since then I have been fascinated with what great things good food and exercise can do for your body.

I pondered long and hard about what I could do with my life that involved the two things I now love most, food and exercise. My mom is a diabetic educator and works with a lot of dietitians. One day she sent me a text saying, “Hey, I know what you can go back to school for — dietetics!” Just like a lot of other people I replied, “Ummm … what’s that?” Then I pulled up my trusty Google homepage on my iPhone and figured it out. Dietetics seemed absolutely perfect for me so I began researching some of the schools that offered the major. Sadly I’m 26 and still get homesick, so I knew I wanted to stay in St. Louis. I stumbled upon Fontbonne and SLU and had a decision to make. I decided I should probably attend any open houses or welcome opportunities at both schools to make my decision. I registered for Fontbonne’s open house last November, and that was all I needed — decision made. Not only was the campus beautiful but every single person I spoke with was extremely nice and all of the current students had nothing but positive things to say about Fontbonne. I was sold, and here I am now! 4 weeks in and loving it!