Coo-coo for Coconut Oil

by Alumni Posts on September 21, 2015

In the past year there has been a lot of hype around “coconut” infused items. While I admit to being a fan of coconut-y things like coconut yogurt and the versatile coconut oil, I want to emphasis that just because something has the word coconut on it- doesn’t mean it’s inherently the healthiest thing for you. This rule of thumb applies to other “superfoods” advertised for being miracle cures for weight loss, making you younger or washing your car for you (Overall, health = balance. There’s no one miracle cure.).

That being said, this post is going to share with you my favorite ways to use coconut oil. For starters, you can use coconut oil to cook, it stands up better to heat than olive oil…but my uses will be some you might not have thought of. If you enjoyed my last post about Money-Saving Tips for College Students, this post is for you. Using one product for a variety of things saves money too 🙂

1) As a hair mask. If my hair feels dry I’ll rub a few tablespoons of coconut oil through my hair and twist it up in a bun while doing homework. When I’m done, I’ll rinse it out in the shower, as usual. My hair always feels great after this!

2) As a moisturizer/lotion. I often put on coconut oil as lotion after my shower because my skin soaks up the oils better. With this, don’t use too much. A little goes a long way and you want your skin to feel soft, not oily.

3) As makeup remover. I learned this trick when I forgot make-up remover when spending the night at a friend’s house. Coconut oil takes makeup right off and moisturizes the skin in the process.

Interested in more coconut oil uses? Watch this video to find 26 uses for coconut oil !

-Katie