Quinn

Why did I choose Fontbonne?

by Quinn on September 17, 2015

in Athletics,First Year at Fontbonne,Uncategorized

There were a number of factors that went into account of my decision to choose to attend Fontbonne University. First, let me say the one reason why I almost didn’t come to Fontbonne. I simply thought it was too close to home. Growing up I lived in a Kansas City suburb for the first 15 years of my life until I moved to St. Louis with my mom, brother and step-father after my freshman year of high school. I only lived in St. Louis for three years at the time of making my college decisions however, in those three years I had experienced more in my life than I did for the first 15 years of it. I certainly experienced more of St. Louis in those three years than I ever did in Kansas City. I basically considered myself an honorary St. Louis native by the time I was graduating high school. However, I always had dreams of branching out and away from the nest to move on to bigger and brighter things so I often looked to go to school as far away from home as possible. I looked at many schools on the west coast and throughout the plains of Kansas that interested me. In November of my senior I had my official visit here at Fontbonne and I was very impressed to say the least. I intended on running track and field in college and I was able to meet a number of track athletes as well as my potential coaches and they left a very good impression on me with their friendliness and hospitality. Another occurrence that peaked my interest in Fontbonne was when I sat in on Dr. Oliverio’s literature class with a future teammate of mine. I really enjoyed the class and found it very interesting. I enjoyed Dr. Oliverio’s fun and engaging style of teaching and I wanted to be an English major in college and this class gave me a great impression of what the English department was like at Fontbonne.

A few weeks after my visit at Fontbonne I had my official visit at my second option of universities and it was a small private school, very much like Fontbonne, located in rural Kansas. The visit left a pretty good impression on me and I did not have any issues with the school until there was one question brought up to me by my potential track coach. He asked, “If you had a career ending injury, and could never run track again, would you still want to attend this school?” I thought very diligently about this question because it had a profound impact on me. I soon came to realize that no, I would not want to go to that school if there was no hope of me doing track again. I then thought about Fontbonne and asked myself the same question and came up with a different answer. I soon began to realize and appreciate all of the great, numerous connections that I made in my new town of St. Louis and how lost I would truly me in the Kansan plains. I just was not ready to hit the reset button on my life once again. Despite being only twenty minutes away from home, I was still able to give myself a new environment with all ranges of individuals while not being too far from my comfort zone. I made the decision to attend Fontbonne University in the spring of my senior year of high school and embarked on a new pathway of experience in my life.