Non-Perishable Snacks When You’re Busy and On the Go

by Alumni Posts on August 5, 2015

in Academics,Extracurricular

Finding good tasting, healthy snacks on the go has been a struggle for me since I began college. I always find myself on the go, needing something quick and easy to take with me during long hours in class or while at work. If you find yourself in a similar pickle, read some of these suggestions. I know you’ll find a few ideas that will help you conquer your busy schedule.

1) Choose nature’s portable produce. The most portable fruits include: oranges, apples, avocados and bananas. Portable veggies include petite cucumbers, baby carrots, snap peas and celery. Any cut up fruit or veggie will need to be refrigerated, so invest in an ice pack (they’re about $1 at target) and you’re set! If not, stick to produce that doesn’t require cutting up or cooking.

2) Bag your own trail mix. This one seems like a no-brainer, but many students grab vending machine trail mix for convenience when they can make their own for pennies on the dollar! Here’s a quick idea for trail mix: 1 cup of your favorite cereal (I use Chocolate Cheerios or Trader Joe’s O’s), 1/4 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 cup dried apricots chopped, and 1/2 cup almonds. Divvy up into 4 portions and you have a great snack for between classes!

3) Make your own protein and/or fruit & nut bars. I have another blog post with my current favorite recipe for DIY protein bars. Also, I find a lot of my ideas on Pinterest. Not a protein bar fan? Make fruit filled muffins or veggie-packed zucchini bread. Just look for recipes with a lower sugar content and whole wheat flour.

4) UHT Milk. UHT (Ultra-High Temperature) Milk are those little cartons or bottles of milk that you see in the store that do not require refrigeration until opened. This is a great way to get in protein on the go when no refrigerator is nearby. Warning: these can be on the pricey side… so get a package from Walmart/Costco/etc. and save them for days when you know you’ll need them the most!

Advice: Plan ahead. One of my best pieces of advice has nothing to do with what foods to have, but rather with planning. Having a snack with you at all times will help you from becoming ravenously hungry by the 3pm mark, when most people feel a drop in blood sugar and is referred to as “hangry”. Being prepared will help you eat mindfully. In other words, you’ll be choosier about what you snack on versus grabbing the first thing in sight.

Have a happy summer! Apply these tips during summer and this fall semester to keep you fueled for your day.

-Katie