North Carolina Trip

by Alumni Posts on July 27, 2015

On Tuesday I caught an early flight from Raleigh back to Saint Louis. I was in Raleigh, NC for a week visiting my boyfriend’s family and spent some time exploring the area. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I loved Raleigh! The city had a small-town vibe with the excitement and entertainment of a big city. I ended up falling in love with the city’s endless nature trails. My favorite trail was at Duke Gardens, a large and beautiful garden behind Duke University.

Before I left for vacation I admit that I was a little worried I would stray from my regular physical activity and healthy habits while on vacation. Despite my concern, I ended up staying on track with all the walking we were doing, plus I found other ways to stay active on the trip such as swimming and doing morning yoga indoors. I also discovered my boyfriend’s mom did personal training on the side, so she was just as in to fitness as I was!

That said, I sometimes forget that missing a workout or two won’t kill me. Nor will treating myself to “special occasion foods” (don’t worry, I did plenty of this!)
Trying popular local foods is one of my favorite things to do when traveling. We treated ourselves to the “best doughnuts in Raleigh” at Duck Doughnuts and had frozen custard another night (these were my two favorites during my trip). I won’t even mention that it was Glynn’s sister’s birthday that week, so we had ice cream cake too… (hey, balance in everything, right?!)

I had a great time on my trip, but it’s nice to be home and back to a regular routine… I hope I get to go back and visit Raleigh soon 🙂

FullSizeRender(4)
(Top: Glynn & I at Duke Gardens; Bottom: Doughnut w/ Coconut and Rainbow sprinkles at Duck Doughnuts in Raleigh)