The Countdown Begins!

by Alumni Posts on July 27, 2015

in Academics,After College,Campus Community,Career Paths,College Life

Only one month left until school starts back up again. For me, fortunately it will be my last semester 😀 For dietetics students, our education does not end with a 4-year degree. After graduation the goal is often to land an internship or graduate school (or both) and then become a registered dietitian working in either the community, clinical setting, or in food service management. In addition to that, registered dietitians are required to have a certain amount of continuing education every five years. In the nutrition world, scientific research leads to a continuation of new information every day, so it makes sense to require those in the nutrition field to stay up to date.

For me, the continuing education excites me more than it scares me. I love staying up to date with the latest trends (even without following the trends, I like to know what others are up to so I can challenge misinformation). I’m looking to work in the community setting of dietetics because I love one-on-one interaction with people, and that’s where my heart truly goes. Although I love science and the clinical case studies in Medical Nutrition Therapy, I feel that there are so many current and future dietitians that have a huge passion for that area, that if given the chance, I’d prefer working in the community where my true passion lies. That being said, I’m open to new possibilities and am fully aware that internship/time may steer my choices in the dietetics world.

Fontbonne’s dietetics program isn’t for the faint of heart, it’s for the most passionate future dietitians out there! The instructors give you a great background of each different area of dietetics so you get a feel of where you want your career to land you in the future. My favorite projects included nutrition counseling with different clients. Once we did one with a registered dietitian role playing as a randomized client, another time we did with an actual client from Fontbonne’s campus. I can almost guarantee it pushed everyone in the classroom’s comfort zone at first, but it was a great way to learn!

For any perspective Dietetics students, I strongly suggest you talk to anyone in the FCS department and ask questions about the dietetics program to see if it’s the right choice for you. 🙂

-Katie