Underwater World

Let me take you under the sea. That was the inspiration for my most recent (and last) window display in my independent study visual merchandising class. Erika Kuhn and I worked together on this one on the smaller window (you may remember me posting about the bigger one earlier in the semester). We work together in FAB and ODK, so it has been nice to collaborate with her from a class perspective as well.

The process for this display was interesting, because we actually revamped it from our original idea. We had the window about half-way done, and then changed almost everything. We tried to create a display that was upside down, and it would have been an underwater scene. This idea sounded really neat and different, but was very difficult to implement. And it did not look like we were expecting. Therefore, we decided to recreate something that we knew we could be proud of and excited about.

The entire background is covered in blue tissue paper. Green tissue paper makes up the leaves of the tree, while the trunk is painted construction paper. Moving your eye from right to left, you then see the mannequin that has a dark underworld style to her. We painted her hair and makeup in various shades of blue and green. We also constructed her dress out of fabric, rope, and netting to go along with the nautical theme. Additionally, her necklace is made out of a seashell. The train of her dress is draped up and down throughout the rest of the window, until it eventually runs into the ocean and is part of the waves. Additional types of blue fabric create layers of waves on the left and middle panels of the window. There are also strands of fish, seaweed, jellyfish and coral made out of paper, trash bags, and coffee filters weaving in and out of the waves. The entire floor is covered with tan fabric, sprinkled sand, and seashells. The final step we took was painting the border of the windows. We intended it to look swirly and wave-like. It also forces people to peek into the window more since the paint covers some of it.

Like all the other displays, I had so much fun working on this. Hands-on projects are always my favorite. It is also a nice creative outlet. As much as I enjoy this, it does feel nice to be able to say that I am done with one of my classes (I also finished my portfolio for the class). I look forward to coming back to visit and seeing what future visual merchandising students come up with. It’s time to pass the torch!

Check it out in AB Hall by next fall! Check it out in AB Hall by next fall!