Student Organizations

by Fontbonne University on April 7, 2015

in Campus Community,College Life

Compared to the days of high school, I can say that getting involved at school on a college level can be difficult though also easy, depending on how much effort you put into it.  I know that in high school it was pretty easy to get involved because of the fact you’re on campus every day, everything is pretty much readily accessible and at the tip of your hands.  I was involved with any organization that I was particularly interested in as long as I made sure to seek out the information to participate in each organization.  Now with college, as a commuter student, things can be slightly different.  I know personally I have to make sure that my schedule can fit in time for each of the organizations that I am personally involved in, and in addition to that I have to make sure I can give fully of my talents as a participant.  Last year, as a freshman, I was very involved with almost each organization I would possibly relate to or had interest in.  Though my major problem was that I had to narrow down where was it I felt called to be in with the groups — where an organization would benefit from me as well as me benefiting from the organization in return.

I believe it is important for each student on campus to really find at least one organization to participate in and give of their time and talents.  Now I am not saying that a student should join every organization that he or she can join in one semester, but rather to evaluate their interests and sign up for at least one or two.  Here I can say that I am honestly involved in at least two student organizations: Students for Life and Campus Ministry.  Campus Ministry though, is where I want to focus because of how much I am currently learning from this part of my life.  I am not sitting here saying that “Oh everyone needs to be a part of Campus Ministry and be a Jesus freak,” because that is not the case.  I know that with Campus Ministry I have really seen where I enjoy investing my time most with growth and learning more about myself as a whole person.  Through times of working together with another team member on the Campus Ministry Team, I have learned how I work best with people and how I may not work best with people.  Though through those varying situations, I have learned ways to respond to times when I may not work best with people, in addition I have learned ways to improve more on myself.  Life lessons that come from working with others in an organization within college.  There are times of leadership that you are handed or else offered and you have the chance to either take it or leave it.  But when taking opportunities of leadership and spending time with people who have some of the same things in common with you, it makes the overall college experience more meaningful as well as personal.