Self-love and Stress Reduction

in Academics,College Life

My biggest challenge in college has been stress management and making time for myself.  I think it’s extremely important to take care of one’s self and have “me time”, time to spend with friends and time to do the hobbies that you most enjoy.  Balance is key.  Does that ideal always happen for me?  Well, not quite.

Despite my best intentions, I often neglect my well-being for the sake of getting more stuff done.  I want to feel “more-productive”, and when I take out time doing nothing, or watching a few episodes of my favorite show on Netflix I often feel “lazy” or “selfish” for taking time to do something mindless.

Earlier today I was talking with a friend who reminded me how important taking time for myself can be.  She told me how she has changed the way she approaches stress in the academic setting.  She has been forgiving of herself when she doesn’t get “the perfect grade” and stays mindful when she feels something isn’t worth stressing over.  According to her, it has made all the difference in her overall stress level.  This served as a reminder to me that in order to be the “more-productive” student that I want to be, I must first take care of myself.  It isn’t selfish or lazy to do something mindless.  It isn’t the end of the world if you take a day off from school work to have fun with your friends or family.  Getting assignments done is important, but you are the most important thing in your life.  If you take care of yourself, productiveness will follow.

A little self-love and forgiveness goes a long way.

If you’re interesting in more detailed Stress-Reduction Tips, click the link below for an article by the Greatist.

http://greatist.com/happiness/23-scientifically-backed-ways-reduce-stress-right-now

-Katie H.