A Learning Experience

by Fontbonne University on April 23, 2015

With finals coming up, I’ve been reflecting a lot on the courses I’ve taken this past semester. I’ve learned so much in all my classes, but one course in particular comes to mind. This class has been a challenge for me and has required me to put in a lot of effort. However, this specific course has increased my knowledge greatly in the subject. So what class is it? My biology class.

I have never been a fan of science and have always struggled with it, even in high school. So naturally, I was worried about taking a science class. I had the option of choosing between a chemistry course, biology course, and physical science course. I chose biology because I thought it would be the most interesting of the three sciences and I also thought that it would be the easiest.

While I’m happy I chose to take biology, I’m not getting through it without some late night study sessions and extra test prep in order to get me the grade I’m happy with. My biology course has taught me so much, even though I probably won’t use any of the concepts in my future career as an accountant. I’ve learned about what animal cells are composed of, how cellular respiration works, the process of Mitosis, and so much more. I can elaborate on each of those topics and that has allowed me to hold conversations with some of my more “sciencey” friends.

Even though I dread science and especially my biology class, the information I’ve learned has allowed me to be a more well-rounded individual and I am grateful for that.