Favorite Faculty Member

by Fontbonne University on April 14, 2015

During my time at Fontbonne, I have met some incredible people from fellow students to faculty members to Fontbonne alum. It is hard to single out just one person I have met who has had a lasting impact on me, but Dr. Kelley Barger has been the most influential professor I have had here thus far. Dr. Barger teaches my Methods of Teaching Reading & Language Arts course for elementary educators, a six hour block that includes teaching reading and writing strategies. For this class, we actually go to a local elementary school and read and write with third grade students. Although this course is very heavy in content and material, Dr. Barger makes it fun, exciting, and interesting the entire time. Not only is she a professional in her field, Dr. Barger is a personable and welcoming person who is willing to help at all times. She allows students to come to her with any questions or concerns, she is willing to work with you before or after class, and she gives away some freebies (yay!) during her class that will help us as educators in the future.

Dr. Barger is a professor who genuinely cares for and respects her students and only wants what is best for them. She connects with her students on a much more personal level than other professors I have had at both universities I have attended and makes an effort to get to know her students. Dr. Barger always keeps her students on the edge of their seat, urging them to learn more. She has original ideas, great advice, and is overall simply fantastic. If any current or perspective students (even if you are not an elementary major) get the chance to take one of her courses, I would highly, highly recommend it!