College Transition

by Fontbonne University on April 7, 2015

in Academics,Career Paths

I remember the final days of high school pretty well, at least for now since I graduated almost two years ago now.  But those last final days were kind of just odd to say the least.  There were girls around me who were emotional some days and then so excited the next day.  For me really, I would say I was kind of indifferent – primarily because of the fact that I had seen the transition at least three times prior in my own family – I was not that afraid of going on to college classes.  I was confident at least with the independence part because I was going to a college right in town, which I commute too still while living at home, and since I also chose the same school which my sister had attended a few years prior, where I knew some of the faculty already and had seen the campus as a kid.

Though once I had really started to have more classes under my belt, and understanding the life of college, it did become kind of intimidating.  Though what made it intimidating was when I had gone from first looking at Special Education, to Speech-Language Pathology, to then Undecided…  I had no idea what to do with myself.  I felt that I was sure of what I wanted to do with my life for a career most of my life though once I made it to college and predicaments came into the picture, I was scared.  I felt lost, not sure of what was going to happen with my life.  I wondered who would I hang out with in regards to my major and get to know for future possible networking or just becoming familiar with people I would see each day in classes.  I felt like I didn’t fit in at times because I was undecided and not firmly planted on the ground with a decision.  Though through all of that scary, uncertain, anxiety-filled period of days, I began to really ask questions pertaining to what I was interested in and enjoyed investing my time and talents in.  I would talk to previous teachers I had for classes that I felt comfortable with, I volunteered with organizations that I knew I felt welcome and just a part of the community, I evaluated parts of myself that I had not thought about re-evaluating in regards to a career.  By spending the time to slow down and just accept where I was with my life, pray about it and let that resonate inside of me, I was slowly able to really find the new major that I have today in the field of Family and Consumer Sciences which would be the one and only Family Policy and Advocacy.

So, what I can say for future Fontbonne Griffins, would be to really see where your interests reside in regards to school if you are unsure of where to look for a major.  I can tell you that each of the professors here at Fontbonne, as well as staff members, are here for you and for your betterment as a student.  By having a smaller enrollment of students on campus, this leads to more opportunities to get to know your teacher, say hello and get to know them a little more.  I can honestly say that they would enjoy getting to know you in return and aide you with anything along the way that you may need.  Challenge yourself to talk to someone who you may not talk to that often while at a social event or at the lunch table.  Make sure to say hi to people you pass on the sidewalk on your way to class.  Most importantly, make sure to recognize your limits and boundaries because I can speak from experience that those are the kinds of things to learn in college, and learn very well.  Additionally, accept the limits and boundaries that you have because each person is different and cannot be compared to.  But my first two years at Fontbonne University have and shall continue to be some of the best years of my life thus far.  I have learned so much about myself that I would never have expected two years ago as a senior in high school.  Trust yourself.