From One World to Another

by Fontbonne University on March 25, 2015

in Campus Community,College Life

The transition from high school to college can bring out a lot of emotions you didn’t expect. College, especially if you live on campus, is a totally different lifestyle than what you were used to in high school. The change of environment can have more of an impact on you than what you thought it would. Everyone deals with the transition differently and experiences different feelings when coming to college.

Personally when coming to college my freshman year, I struggled with being homesick. Even though I only lived about an hour and a half away from my home, I still missed it a lot. I made a great group of friends during my first semester at Fontbonne, but still missed my family and friends back home. I used to go home every weekend that I possibly could, but always regretted not staying on campus. I would see my Fontbonne friends posting pictures on Facebook of their fun weekends spent at Forest Park or trying out a new restaurant at The Loop.

I struggled a lot with deciding to spend weekends on campus or going home to see my family. I wanted so desperately to hang out with my new friends, but I hated feeling homesick. I soon came to realize that it’s okay to feel homesick sometimes. It’s just a side effect of moving away from your home you’ve known all your life. Things get better!