Spring Cleaning Time

by Fontbonne University on March 25, 2015

in Extracurricular,New & Future Students

Spring is in the air! Even with the ups and downs of the weather (not so surprising for March in St. Louis), evidence of spring can be seen everywhere. The grass is looking greener, trees have buds on them, early flowers have started to bloom, and every store is touting their spring wares. Another seasonal tradition is spring cleaning and I’m all for it. No matter what your living situation is (on or off campus), I believe everyone can benefit from a little spring cleaning.

I’ve lived in my current apartment for almost two years now and even in that short amount of time it’s surprising how quickly stuff can accumulate. The truth of the matter is that material stuff has a way of weighing us down and making our lives feel cluttered and cramped. It’s hard to stay organized, have excess energy, or even focus when there’s an over abundance of stuff everywhere. Personally, I have challenges with filling up all my flat surfaces with clutter, a habit I would love to remedy.

I started in my closet and dresser because thinning out the wardrobe always seems to be the easiest. If you have a hard time deciding what to get rid of, just ask yourself a few questions. When was the last time you wore this item? Is it something you really find comfortable or do you just wear it to impress people? Are you keeping it because it was a gift and, even though you don’t like it, you’re afraid of hurting someones’ feelings? While it’s understandable why we hold on to these things, it can be more beneficial to do things like donate them to charity. Someone in need could get a lot of use out of that extra winter jacket or pair of shoes that you never wear. I have also moved on to my over abundance of art supplies (donating supplies that I never use anymore), books I’ve already read, and even some of my kitchen supplies (because who really needs three cheesecake pans if you’re not a baker??).

One of the most inspirational things for me during this time of spring cleaning has been my best friends’ blog:

http://livemorelovenature.blogspot.com/

Jenn has taught me so many, many things in our friendship and letting go of stuff has been a big lesson. Holding on to things I don’t need because it’s tied to a memory or I’m afraid I might need, maybe in the future has only succeeded in an abundance of clutter, wasted time with extra cleaning, and feeling weighed down. Her blog is all about living with less, and being happier for it. Freeing up your time from material things lets you do more of what you love and make awesome memories in the process. Happy cleaning!

Cheers!