Dancing Through Life

The weekend before last marked a significant date in my dance career. It was the last time I “took the stage” as a Griffin Girl. I’ve been on the dance team at Fontbonne for three years. During my freshman year here, I made the mistake to not partake in any extracurricular activities, and forewent what I had been doing since I was five years old.

Clearly, I couldn’t stay away from dance for long, and joined the team theĀ  following year. This decision ranks in the top for the bestĀ  decisions I have made in my life so far. You see, dance is not just a sport for me. It’s more than a performance or source of entertainment for others. It’s a way I let myself deal with all that life can throw at me. Dance is my catharsis, my release in life.

So I continued, and I met the greatest gals whom I now call my friends. We were more than just a team. We were there for each other. We all needed dance, and we needed each other. 2014-2015 Griffin Girls

Griffin Girls was the perfect outlet for me to keep dancing and still focus on building the future I so desired. I could dance while focusing on my education, work, and other leadership opportunities. My time here at Fontbonne has been some of the greatest years of my life, due in part to the Griffin Girls.

“Dance with your heart and your body will follow”. Those are the words of choreographer Mia Michaels, and could not be more true. I may not be the dancer with the best leaps, turns, or flexibility, but I dance with my heart in each and every performance. It is my heart that is rooted in dance, and the thought of being done with the art form causes it to ache a little.
The Griffin Girls Cheering on the Griffins

Who knows where I will go with dance next, but my heart will always hold a passion for it. That I know for sure.

GGs