Building Bespoke

in Academics,In Saint Louis

When I was in high school, I was selected to join the honors program at Fontbonne, and I accepted. Accordingly, I was required to take at least twelve credits of honors courses offered here. I completed that after my sophomore year. However, there is one last thing that needs to be done in order to complete the honors program before I graduate. It is required to complete an honors senior project. The meaning of this is very broad and completely depends on the student and their major. It is pretty much up to the student what they want to do for the final project, as long as it is initially approved and extends beyond standard classroom work that is assigned to everyone else.

I knew that I wanted to do a project that required hands-on work because I really enjoy being crafty. The teacher of my independent study visual merchandising class connected me with a store owner named Dorothy. She recently opened her store, Bespoke, at a new location on Cherokee Street. It is a very large space with room for two window displays. Therefore, I helped Dorothy out by building a visual display that she can keep up year-round. Bespoke is not a traditional boutique or clothing store. Dorothy creates custom-made garments for people, and also sews alterations on pre-made garments. Accordingly, I wanted to incorporate tools that she uses daily, such as thread, ribbon, buttons, needles, and measuring tape. I used these items to create screens as the backdrop (and within the store), as you can see from the pictures. Maroon, gray, and tan is the color scheme of the Bespoke logo, so I continued that in the display. Finally, there are two dress forms in one of the windows that are intended to tell a story of how a garment is put together. That is why the first look is partially sewn.

I really enjoyed working on this project and getting to know Dorothy over the last couple months. It was a great learning experience having the opportunity to see her at work and hear all about her background. And like I said before, I love being crafty! Now that the project is done, I need to compile my process into a portfolio. After I turn that in, I can officially say that I completed the honors program at Fontbonne.

bespoke