Two different worlds.

by Fontbonne University on February 18, 2015

in College Life,New & Future Students

High school, at least for me, was not that long ago. A year ago from this date, I was in my home town and attending daily classes as a Phoenix. So how did I transition from a Phoenix to a Griffin? High school attempts to prepare you for college academically, but it can sadly fail at preparing you emotionally and socially. It took a lot to get used to not being with the people I’ve been in school for years with. No matter how difficult it was, it’s possible and it just happens to be completely worth it.

Emotionally you’re a mess when you graduate high school, these emotions include positive and negative responses to this drastic change. For most people I think the hardest thing to transition to college is meeting new people. Like I said, you have been with the same people for years. It’s weird not seeing them everyday in the halls. However most of all, you miss your friends that you made. I personally had a close group of friends and leaving them was possibly the hardest thing to get used to. Transitioning into knowing so few people, but coming from a place that you knew everyone can be hard. So if you want to keep your high school friends, here are a few things you can do.

1. Forget distance as an excuse to be a forgetful friend

Distance is just a number; it is possible to talk to them still. Giving up on friends because of miles is like getting rid of a perfectly good car because it has a scratch. Facebook allows you to create a group chat and I’ve used it since I got to college. Whenever my friends and I are having a bad day, we message each other. Even if we are having the best day, we tell each other. The trick is to find tools like this one to get in touch with another.

2. Put yourself out there

This sounds extremely similar to dating advice and maybe that’s because it actually works. Dwelling on home will only make matters worse for you when transitioning to college. Dwelling on past friends and what you did with them will make it even worse. Yes, you may be starting over socially. Yes, that may be scary. However, it is totally worth it to meet new people. I love my friends at home and school. I wouldn’t give up them for the world.

3. Do not compare, you can have both worlds

Comparing old and new will just make you upset and ruin your fresh start! Never compare your home life to your college life, it will only make you feel scared. Of course home will seem cozier, but college is a brand new escapade. Don’t waste it comparing it to your life at home and during high school.

Speaking from an experience I just went through, transitioning from high school to college is hard. It can make you feel out of your comfort zone and you should be! It should feel like you’re not where you were before because you should grow into who you want to be. Two different worlds may be hard to handle, but I have a feeling your shoulders are strong enough to hold them both.

snowworlds