Five Ways to Take Better Care of Yourself

Hey there Fontys! Happy New Year! Well, I’m gonna get straight to the point, the life of an undergrad can get pretty stressful. I mean, with all the things we have to deal with on a regular basis, a little self care can quickly fall by the wayside. I can admit that even before I started my undergrad career at Fontbonne, my level of me time wasn’t where it should’ve been. To be perfectly honest, my me time is desperately suffering as I’m writing this! Not to worry though, darlings, I gotcha covered. Here are five things that I think will help you regain your me time.

1. Take an early shower

Now this may seem like a very small detail, but taking an early bath/shower could give you some of that time back that you’re craving. My suggestion: After you picked your favorite pair of pajamas, tie up your hair, take off all your makeup (that’s for my female audience), make a huge cup of hot chocolate, and let the relaxing commence!

2.  Read your favorite book

Once again, this is a very simple tip, but it will help you relax when you need to. My suggestion: start a list of books that you wanna finish in the next six months. Not only will this help you devote some time to yourself, but it will give you a fun task to finish.

3.  Invite some friends over for game night

This idea is one that I dig out of my bag of tricks often. Make your favorite foods, pull out your favorite games and movies, add sweets to the occasion, and you’re in heaven. Trust me….

4. Go shopping

Retail therapy is ALWAYS a good idea. Enough said.

5. Go see a movie

A good film never goes out of style.

Black History Fact of the Week: Langston Hughes

The legendary poet’s 113th birthday was this past Sunday, prompting many to look back at the brilliance of his career. Hughes was born February 1, 1902, in Joplin, Missouri, but he was primarily raised by his grandmother in Lawrence, Kan. Hughes’ lineage includes slaveholder as both paternal great-grandfathers were slave owners. His maternal grandmother was of mixed race, and one of the first women to attend Oberlin College. Hughes’ mother was born to a mixed race abolitionist father.