Wacky Warhol Display

This semester, I am enrolled in an independent study visual merchandising class. This is the first time I have taken an independent study, so it is a very different structure to get used to. Everything is done on my own time, yet I still have to communicate with my classmates because we are completing displays as a team. There are four of us in the class.

There are two windows displays that we work with. For our first challenge, we took a trip to the St. Louis Art Museum as inspiration. In particular, we visited the Nick Cave exhibit. He is an artist that creates pieces out of found objects. Accordingly, we were to do the same and use a very limited budget. We also used the artists Andy Warhol and Alexander McQueen as an inspiration. I worked on the display that combined the Nick Cave and Andy Warhol aesthetic. This was extremely fun to create. I loved having creative freedom to do as many wacky things as I wanted with whatever I could find. Also, I’m a huge fan of bright colors. So, it made me happy using such a diverse color scheme as well.

It can be difficult to see all the elements of this display in the below picture. The materials used are the following. A variety of fabrics in multiple colors are draped and pinned to the entire back of the wall. The side panels consist of poster board covered in buttons, beads, sequins, glitter, and flowers. Suspended from the ceiling are colorful furry pillows, plastic bowling pins, and giant flower petals made out of poster board. One mannequin wears a cape made out of a rug and hat made out of a pillow and yarn. The other mannequin’s dress was made out of flowers stuck into a cage-like structure. Each mannequin then stands on a furry rug. The floor is covered in foil. Then, on top of that, there are layers of beads, buttons, sequins, flowers, and pillow stuffing.

Stop by Anheuser Busch Hall to see these up close and in person, and determine your interpretation of the artwork. They will only be there for a limited time until we put a new display up!

"Art is what you can get away with." -Andy Warhol “Art is what you can get away with.” -Andy Warhol