Stop and Enjoy

by Fontbonne University on February 26, 2015

in College Life,In Saint Louis

Another day of snow, another day of leaving the house earlier than normal to go through the chore of cleaning the snow and ice off my car and warming it up for the drive to school (which will be more of a fight due to the weather). If you’ve grown up in the Midwest, or have lived here for any length of time, this winter weather is nothing new, and we all bear it the best we can, wishing for an early spring. Today, however, while sweeping the powdery snow off my car, I had a memory pop up in my minds’ eye and it made me take pause. When I was a young girl I had a microscope and I would look at everything under it to see what my world was like up close. In the winter time I became obsessed with trying to look at snowflakes. I would put my glass slides outside so that they would be cold enough for the little flakes and even set up my microscope in the backyard to observe the delicate crystals in their natural habitat. But one thing I didn’t consider was the hot bulb that made it possible to see anything under the microscope, and so each and every time the beautiful snowflakes would melt within seconds of being observed (much to my dismay).

That memory made me stop for a moment and think about how rushed we all are to get from one thing in our lives to another, with hardly a pause in between to just stop and look around. So I stopped cleaning my car and just looked. The snowflakes were huge and the wind made them swirl and dance around in the air before coming to rest on the world below. For that moment I forgot about classes and deadlines and work and bills and just admired the beauty of the snow. Perhaps everyone should just take a moment in their busy schedule, every day, to pause, look around, and enjoy the beauty of the world around us. Take a deep breath and remember those moments. Cheers!