“Naps are always a good thing!”

Hello, everybody —

Fontbonne Lacrosse kicked off their season over the weekend with a big game against Rockhurst. They took a loss but they showed signs of a promising season behind Freshman goalie Seth Yance! In other news, the men’s basketball team extended their winning streak to 5 games and secured the 4 spot in SLIAC rankings this week. The Griffins take on cross-town rival Webster University on Wednesday at 8 PM! The two teams met earlier in the season as Webster defeated the Griffins in regulation. Both teams are tied for 3rd place in conference so come support the Griffins this Saturday!

This week is about juggling the life of a college student with the other 500 things in my life. Some strategies work for me that won’t work for others, but I think i’m getting along just fine. Every single morning, my alarm sounds at 7:15 AM, except on Fridays when it sounds at 6:45 AM. Whether it’s work study in Fontbonne’s Kinkle Resource Center, morning workouts for basketball, class, or my job at Northwestern Mutual, I am always up with the early birds to get the worm! (some days I feel like i’m up before the worm!) I enjoy having a busy schedule because life is short, why not experience it. However, there are some setbacks to being such a busy student and there are even more setbacks to waking up so early every morning. Here’s how I get through it…

First things first, I always make sure I’m getting enough sleep. Sleep deprivation can lead to sickness, depressed mood, weak immune systems, lack of focus in classes, and lack of performance in athletics. I’m sure everybody has heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and they’re right. Here at Fontbonne, the cafeteria serves a buffet breakfast every morning. Conveniently, the cafeteria is right in the middle of campus! Being so active, I take pride in the food I put into my body because it helps me get through my days. Plus, coffee. I really like coffee… When getting my homework done, I try to remove all distractions both physically and emotionally. Sometimes it’s okay to have a few hours away from Instagram (follow me @evanj_247) or Facebook while doing homework. Once again, I am extremely active. This brings me to my next coping strategy – naps! Taking a nap is always a good thing. If somebody ever says that taking a nap is a bad thing, they are wrong. As human beings, we need sleep. When we don’t get enough sleep, our bodies feel tired. This is why we crave sleep. I try to take a nap every day because I do not get 8 hours of sleep every night. While I can’t just add up my hours and say, “I slept 8 hours and took a 2 hour nap, therefore I got 10 hours of sleep,” I still need and enjoy the feeling that a nap can give me. Keeping me sane, giving me a break from everything, and helping my body repair — naps are pretty magical.

Lastly, I try to spend as much time as possible doing leisure activities OTHER than working out. Personally, I am 23 years old. I enjoy having a few drinks during the week to relax and step away from the ‘grind’ of being a student-athlete. Between watching Netflix, reading my new favorite book 50 Shades of Grey, and listening to music, I keep myself sane, focused, and alive, ready to take on the next day!

Ev