The Leadership Life

in After College,Organizations, Activities & Events

Over the weekend, I participated in what is known as the Leadership and Service Academy. This was a leadership conference for St. Louis area schools, and was hosted at McKendree University in Lebanon, Illinois. The day started with a motivational speaker, and then everyone broke off into groups to attend various seminars relating to different leadership topics. After that, everyone ate lunch in McKendree’s cafeteria and got the chance to mingle with student leaders from other schools. The day ended with another seminar and closing remarks from the opening guest speaker. I feel like I gained a lot of helpful advice on how to be a better leader in just a short amount of time. Some words of wisdom that stuck out to me the most are the following.

-Leadership is not a position, but a state of mind.
-There’s no such thing as a perfectionist (it’s called being a control freak).
-As a society, we’ve turned the definition of leadership into something much bigger than it needs to be.
-If someone has impacted your life, don’t let them walk around not knowing that.
-When teaching something new, it must connect to something already known by the person.
-Creativity is a choice.
-Admit when you are wrong.
-Leadership is not just about acquiring information, but figuring out how to apply it.

This type of conference is an annual tradition. Being a senior, this was my last one to attend. And what a good one to end on!

My 15 seconds of fame on stage at the opening My 15 seconds of fame on stage at the opening