Fried Green Tomatoes

in Campus Community,New & Future Students

It’s been a while since I’ve last blogged, but since it’s my last semester, I hope you will indulge me as I prepare for the next step. Yes, I am graduating in May! It seems very surreal, but so does the rest of my life. After all, I am grateful that I was able to start a new life here.

I am watching “Fried Green Tomatoes,” one of my favorite films about the friendship of two women in the 1920s and how their story empowers a housewife set in the early 90’s (I think?) to emerge from the barren dust of her marriage to strengthen her confidence in herself and in others around her. I watched this film with a friend here at Fontbonne, and it’s remained a favorite since.

Last week, I walked through the passageway between East and Ryan Hall into a group of international students. I met them at the President’s International Student Reception the week before. My mood was rather sombre and stressed, so I did not stop to speak, but I said hello. And wow, what a hello back I received! All of them saw me, and just yelled, “HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!” in different timbres, pitches, inflections, languages… you name it! It was as if I scored a goal in a football match. I mean, a soccer match. I walked away laughing, out of my sombre mood!

Though I cannot relate to being a bitter housewife, I can definitely relate to being in a rough situation when I started here. It’s moments like those where I can stop and remember how amazing the stories and efforts of others from times gone by are, along with the friendships and support I’ve received here. I have really come to fry my own green tomatoes… and eat them too.