Taking Data

in Campus Community,College Life,Faith,New & Future Students

As a speech-pathology major, one of my profession’s greatest concerns is keeping track. By keeping track, we have the evidence we need to judge our work, to backtrack, or move forward, with different strategies, all to achieve a goal. For many speech-pathology majors, or any major that requires taking data, it is difficult to keep track while you’re in sessions. The multitasking is difficult, and the struggle is truly real, especially when you are bound by a code of ethics that requires faithful data collection.

But everyone does it, in a way. Figuratively, I think we all have a subconscious force in us that computes a tally. This tally can be anything; what makes us unique is our counting priorities. Not only do we count, we gauge progress based on the percentage we achieve. We all have our own “code of ethics” that guides us in making our choices to make our time count. Now, not everyone things in numbers, but we can at least count, can we not? Some of us count calories. Some of us count money. Some of us count how many times we make people laugh in a day. Some of us count how many times that cutie in class smiles back. Some of us try to count how many times that client produces the /k/ and /k/ in the initial position of CVC words in spontaneous conversations with 80% accuracy during unstructured activities given only semantic and verbal cues.

Hold up, hold up, Izzy… stop rambling. So what does this have to do with Fontbonne?

Being at Fontbonne has shown me that your time here really does count, qualitatively, and quantitatively. I cannot tell you how many great conversations I have had with the people here throughout my 6 years in St. Louis. From all of them, I have yielded little nuggets of wisdom I will keep, like Sister Rita teaching me, “There’s a world out there friends… don’t miss it.”. I cannot tell you how many random acts of kindness I have received or have witnessed students do for others (so whoever left that cookie in my mailbox THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!).  I cannot tell you how many times I have been on adventures with friends in spontaneous youth that have ended in the most meaningful experiences of my life, like the time someone organized a treasure hunt for me in Forest Park during a tough time. I cannot tell you how many times I am awed at how I learn so much from my other students, older and younger, like the amazing leaders I witnessed today during Selection Saturday, so willing and pepped up to take over campus with their positivism and enthusiasm.

It is not always about the number, but about what made that number meaningful to you. In other words, you are more than a number. You’re not just a statistic in the system. You can definitely trust that there is someone here who will make your time count more than you think, and you are also given the motivation to track your own progress as you are molded by the nuggets of wisdom you receive. For what it’s worth, I’ve already lost count!