Taking Chances with a Famous Designer

by Fontbonne University on February 2, 2015

in Academics,Career Paths,College Life

A dream of mine came true this week. I was able to meet a local St. Louis designer featured on the hit show Project Runway! If you have never seen the show, then you must be living under a rock (and obviously not a very fashionable rock). Haha!

In case you haven’t seen the show, it is a chance for up and coming designers to make clothing based on various themes, limitations, and time restrictions in order to keep things interesting. Famous designers, models and fashion icons like Michael Kors and Heidi Klum critique the clothing at the end of each challenge. It is a very fast paced and exciting show.

Remember AJ Thouvenot from Season 8? He was known for his outlandish garments usually equipped with lots of colors, patterns, and various embellishments. Believe it or not, he was a guest speaker in my FAS205.01 Apparel Production and Evaluation course at Fontbonne last week.

I could hardly contain my excitement when AJ flew through the door, carrying five shirts from his men’s collection and a short, gunmetal grey dress covered with intricate embellishments. It was AWESOME! I was eyeing something that was once only an idea and now a tangible piece of wearable art.

AJ spoke about his life, project runway, his inspirations (rock and roll is one of them, which I adore) and his current brand. He said one thing that stood out to me. I nervously raised my hand and asked what advice he would give someone wanting to pursue a career in the fashion industry. He paused for a second and told me to take every opportunity. He answered, “Even if you think you aren’t ready…just do it. Do it even if you have to fake it. Fake it until you make it! You never know when you’ll be able to get that opportunity again if ever.” His words were a definite sign to me. I try to take as many opportunities as I can, but I always question if I’m ready. AJ’s advice inspired me to take every opportunity and jump right in. You never know what you will miss if you only dip your toes in!

-Celeste

Check out AJ’s creative designs at http://www.andyjdesigns.com