What Really Goes Down Behind the Walls of Fontbonne University

by Fontbonne University on December 1, 2014

in Academics,College Life

What do you wish you knew before you came to Fontbonne?

Would you like the honest truth? – I wish I knew how difficult finding a parking spot can be depending on what day of the week as well as the time of day.  It is really truly hard to believe how Fontbonne is primarily made up of commuter students until you really have a “commuter student” moment, such as having to circle around the parking lot trying to find a spot. Another moment would be that you are running late and need to find a spot so you call a friend to go and look for a spot ahead of you and try to flag down that spot before someone else does. Another moment would be to try and get to school so much earlier compared to the time that your classes start, just so that you have a secure spot for when your class does actually start. I realize I can sound as if I am being over-dramatic about parking at Fontbonne, because there really are days that are not that bad when it comes to parking but then days that are kind of not the best. It all depends on how you plan out your time to find a parking spot but also opportunities on where to park. We do have a commuter lot that is next to one of Washington University’s buildings where a shuttle will pick you up and drop you off right in front of the main building on campus, which is really helpful.

What information would help incoming students make most of their time here?

Time Management! What else could be more valuable for students who are coming in from high school to the new college setting. I know time management was talked about a lot in my high school days, though it was really difficult to understand unless I was really really busy. In college you really do have much more time to yourself to spend compared to when you are in practically the same building for more than 7 hours switching classes on the same area of land. In college, you have many more commitments to give your time to, such as a part-time job, family, friends, academics, studying, tutoring, sleeping, eating, relaxing, club organizations, office hours if you are a club officer, and much more. At times it feels like you cannot do anything because there are not enough hours in the day, but the more you plan out your priorities as well as your own personal commitments and what is best for you as an individual, the easier things can go through each day— because you planned your time.

What might students from other schools be surprised to hear about Fontbonne?

When you hear that you know just about everyone on campus, it seriously is true. There are days where I may see a friend of mine at least 4 times and each time was not planned out. It is crazy though also awesome at the same time. Having a smaller student body, it feels as if everything and everyone is more close-knit and like a family, which I think is true. Unlike those large universities where it may feel like you are just a number in the system and your teachers do not know  your name,  it is not like that at Fontonne. Here, teachers really take time to invest in their students each and every day, and take time to learn your name. It is so great to have the opportunity to know that if something tragic were to come up at the last minute and I would not be able to finish a particular assignment for a class, I would be able to go and talk to my professor for help to complete the assignment or have more time to complete it without getting a lower grade. Here at Fontbonne University, relationships exist between student and teacher — relationships of understanding and personal development for the betterment of the student.