Volunteering Opportunities

by Fontbonne University on December 2, 2014

in Extracurricular,Our Causes

While attending Fontbonne University, I can honestly say that I love living in a city that has several volunteering opportunities at almost every corner you turn, not literally speaking though. Growing up, I was taught to give of my time and talents to those in need, whether that is through my church services or girl scout programs, service projects, hospital volunteering, my youth group events that would go on during high school years, and much more. No matter what the event or occasion was, there was something to better give of my time and talents as well as learn from those who I helped.

Starting with grade school, I can say that I contributed more than 300 service hours to my surrounding community and increased that number even more going into high school by more than 200 hours. Sure those are big numbers, but numbers do not matter to me, it is those lives that you touch that matter. Which moving on to my college days which are current, I volunteer still even though my schedule has become more busy more than I would ever imagine. During the summer I volunteer at a Vacation Bible School where I have volunteered every summer since I was in grade school and also attended the event myself as a little one. Also, I used to volunteer at week-long Girl Scout Camps, where I would aide any leaders in assistance or even lead my own group to be honest. Sure I endured the hot temperatures and had lots of fun though sadly I have not been able to help out in that area for a while. Lastly, I love volunteering at Children’s Hospital, adjacent to Forest Park and Barnes Jewish Hospital whenever possible. There I have one-on-one contact with patients where I assist them with having someone to play a game with, running an errand to go get their favorite games, find movies in which they may enjoy and much more. It is a rewarding experience each and every time. I love having the opportunity to help those in hospitals or any other area and be helped in return with no expectations. The purpose is to build relationships with those around me in the broader community. Make sure to give a little bit of time each and every year to help those in need, it does not have to be through donations or spending large amounts of money, though rather give of your time. Time is one of the most valuable things we have in life.