From Thanksgiving to Black Friday

by Alumni Posts on December 1, 2014

It’s hard to believe another holiday season is already here! Although the time went extremely fast (as always), I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. It was full of family fun and, of course, amazing food. My favorite part of dinner was the dessert. My aunt deserves a lot of credit for making what I considered the best dish of the night: pumpkin gooey butter cake. Just the name says enough about how delicious it was.

I love that holidays bring everyone together, despite so many of us living in various cities for school, work, etc. There are many family members that I only see on holidays, so there is always a lot to catch up on. After dinner and dessert (a couple rounds, I must admit), we played board games. I love family game nights, and wish there was time to have more nights like this. Therefore, I cherish the ones we do get. We all were being so goofy and having an amazing time together.

After staying up late playing games and munching on leftovers, I did not go to sleep like one would assume. I went straight to work at 1 a.m.. I pushed through the night on no sleep (or, should I say “morning”?) and finally got off at 9:30 a.m. This is just part of the job now when you work in retail. This is the sixth holiday season I have worked at Gordmans. This is the first year we opened at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving, and then stayed open all night, into Black Friday. I lucked out that I didn’t have to work during Thanksgiving. That’s what I kept telling myself every time I felt really tired at work. Working this day wasn’t nearly as crazy as the other years, since I was not there to open the store. Although I was sleep deprived, my shift went faster than expected. Singing Christmas songs all night long really helped. We are now officially in the season!

Happy holidays!

Mom and Me! Mom and Me!