Final Countdown

by Fontbonne University on December 1, 2014

Oh my goodness, what else can be said for the final weeks of school?! Well for starters, all I know is that I have less than 5 days left in each of my classes, actually much less than that overall. Once Thanksgiving Break comes and goes, everything literally is a blur for academics to be honest.

By that time, at least for myself, more than half of my final assignments are completed, and all teachers can talk about is final exams. On the other hand, all students talk about is the fact that they have so much still left to accomplish, whether they have large research papers, English papers, projects, last minute tests, etc. College life cannot be handled when time management does not exist. That’s the truth — sure, it may seem that everything wants to occur all at once, as well as just fall through the cracks at once, but the more you have a handle on how to deal with things, the less chaotic it seems. Just a few weeks ago, I visited the Director of our Kinkel Center in the Library, Dr. Pousson, to talk about how to plan out my larger assignments into smaller assignments that are easier to manage – which in the end, helped so much. In addition to having an easier time approaching my assignments, I was able to turn in those final papers well ahead of time without pulling an all-nighter.

I will admit, there are times when college comes across as so much easier or better than high school, but there are also times when I almost wish I could go back to high school. Though luckily I have more moments of college being better than high school. In college, you have much more freedom to make use or not make use of your time and talents. You can join several clubs that are more appealing to your interests or create a group that has not yet appealed to your interests. With clubs then there is having a social life that really you are the one who is in charge of it along with academic life. Though when it comes to classes, you are in class much less compared to high school, and that is where the self-discipline comes into play much more and the willingness to spend more personal time on academics compared to forced time like in high school. The choice is up to the student.