Family Policy & Advocacy

by Fontbonne University on December 2, 2014

in Academics,Our Causes

What is my major?.

In an earlier post I stated that I am currently studying Family Consumer Sciences, which is designed to help individuals, families, communities and much more, but my major is a branch of FCS, specifically called Family Policy & Advocacy. Now I will be honest and tell you that I am still in the learning process as to what my major entails. I know that I will work towards improving the quality of life for individuals in a given area in which I will reside. Additionally, I will aid families and communities as a whole since each group is affected by one another in some way shape or form. I will strive to make a difference with family and social issues that are present in the community around me. Going off of Fontbonne’s description for Family Policy and Advocacy majors, I will “promote social justice and stand up for human needs and rights on local, national and global levels.”

I will overall do what I can to help those around me like I have already stated. I know that I have several Social Work classes ahead of me, since I have social work commitments, which is not as stressful as the job of a social worker, or so I have been told. I still have more to learn about what I am to look forward to in this field, though am very excited!

Why you chose your major?

Well to be honest, I was in a situation where I was forced to switch majors. I wish not to go into detail as to why I was put in that situation though looking back on it, I am forever glad that such events occurred. I knew that I wanted to help people and give back to the community, plus knew that I had to have a passion for what I would do for the rest of my life, and I love working with children. Though recently I realized that yes, it is a good thing I love working with children, though is it more of my maternal instincts within me saying that I hope to one day have a family? The more I thought on that, the more I realized that I would burn out very fast if I ended up working in a work environment that was with children day in and day out and then come home to a family with multiple children – I would one day soon end up not giving all of my love and attention to both sides of the spectrum. I would be doing more harm to myself as well as those around me because I would have reached a burnout level too soon. So I looked deeper and asked myself what is it that I really like about what I do when I volunteer? I love helping people strive for greatness through personal relationships!

What you love about your major?

I realize that I must be repeating myself in this post, but I love how I can impact other people’s lives through my time? I love the moments that happen between me and someone else in need, and how those moments of genuine time spent make life so worth it.

http://www.fontbonne.edu/academics/undergraduate/departments/family-and-consumer-science/family-policy-and-advocacy-major/