Study Habits

It’s hard to believe it’s November already!  Where did the time go?!

When classes are wrapping up, it only means one thing… things seem to be going by at lightening speed!  (At least, this is how the past few weeks have been for me.)  I linked to some study tips and apps for studying in an earlier post, but just as a refresher…Here are a few ways to get the most out of your study time:

Find a quiet place where you’re comfortable.

It sounds obvious, but when you find yourself cramming to get homework accomplished, the last thing you want is to be uncomfortable or distracted.  My favorite place to study is at my dining room, since I can spread out my books, notes, and laptop (and my parents and I usually eat dinner in the kitchen, so there’s no food stains on my homework!)

Take a break every 30 mins to 1 hour.

It may sound counter-productive, but you will feel refreshed afterwards.  I can’t tell you how often I find myself with writer’s block and the moment I go on a quick walk or take an hour for the gym, I can magically write again!  Find an activity that lets you relax a little.  When you come back to your homework you’ll be thinking better than ever.

Keep the big picture in mind.

Can you think of a time where you were doing homework or studying for a class and you thought, “I’ll NEVER need to use this in the real world!”  Well, whenever this thought comes to mind, look deeper!  There is always a way to connect what you learn in school to real world application.  I’ll give you an example: I’m a dietetics major, and taking Algebra wasn’t exactly the highlight of my college courses.  Whenever I got into a rut, I told myself math was important for me to calculate calorie, protein, and nutrient needs, and without it, I couldn’t do my job!  Similar with making or altering recipes, it all requires math!

A simple change in perspective can do wonders. Good luck on your studies, Griffins!