What I Wish I Knew

by Fontbonne University on November 20, 2014

in Campus Community,College Life

Coming to college was a brand new experience for me. It was a completely different environment from what I ever experienced. Of course I learned as I went along, picking up pieces of information along the way. However, I wish I had known one major thing before I came to college. That piece of information is the importance of relationships with people and accepting advice when needed. The people here taught me to accept advice and, even, to actually use it. I’ve always been a very stubborn person, I didn’t realize that this was hindering me from improvement. The people I met in my first week of college alone taught me this important lesson. New experiences can open your eyes to a different point of view an the people here has shown me that. I listen more intently now and realize that I can’t always be set in my ways. Change is a vital part of life, you must learn to accept this. If you follow tradition you might be steered down the same path you were going, that path may not be the best thing for you. People and your connections with them really matter. Before, I was too stubborn for my own good and I can admit it now. However, I now listen more and that is what I wish I had known.

You might be surprised to hear that I changed in just 3-4 months here at college. That’s what this place does to you. It makes you wonder what else is out there. The faculty and students here were my catalyst to thinking more about other points of view, thus improving my understanding of a variety of things. The people here are influential, it doesn’t take long to realize that. When you come to Fontbonne, things change for the better. You become what you really want to become and learn that change is important and beneficial for you. In the short months I’ve been here, I’ve learned so much. I’ve learned to accept change and I think that’s the most surprising thing about Fontbonne. The influence that it has on you is profound.