If I Knew Then What I Know Now

by Fontbonne University on November 25, 2014

in College Life,Extracurricular

Now that I have been at Fontbonne for almost one full semester, there are a few things that I wish I had known sooner! Here are some insider tips and tricks for those of you who are planning on coming to Fontbonne:

1. Getting involved is the best way to meet people. So many of my new friends here have come from joining different clubs and activities such as: tennis, Fontbonne Activities Board, Future Teacher’s Association, and Residence Hall Association.

2. The weather here in St. Louis is crazy- it could be a blizzard one day and then 60 degrees the following day. You may need to transition between shorts and sandals to pants and a jacket in a matter of a few hours; bring to school what you will need in all weather conditions.

3. It is possible to survive on campus without a car. I only have my bike here and I can use it to go to the park, University City, coffee shops, and it also gives me a chance to get outside and get exercise after staying in class all day.

4. Take advantage of the free activities. Many of the organizations host free events throughout the year that are open to students. So far this year I have gone to a haunted house, gone paddle boating, had a tour around St. Louis and had cupcakes afterwards, and have seen many different performers and comedy acts. There are always events going on no matter what your interests may be.

5. Keep your door open. If you decide to live on campus, you will inevitably interact with your floor-mates often, so why not becomes friends with them! By having your dorm room door open, you will get to know people on your floor and also create a welcoming environment. This is how I met some of the best of people on my floor!

6. Get to know the international students. As the semester comes to an end, many Fontbonne students will return back to their home countries. Right now, there are people here from a variety of places such as Saudi Arabia, Brazil, and Japan, and I have learned so much from them. It is a wonderful thing when you get to know someone from a different country or background than your own!