This Human Shall Now Self-Destruct in 5…4…3…

by Fontbonne University on November 6, 2014

When it comes to the last four weeks of the semester, plus exam week on top of that, students as well as the teachers on campus really begin to slowly stress out.  Whether I like it or not, there are four full weeks till the end of the semester, plus the two full days of this week remaining.  That is not a lot of time, but as a sophomore in college, I have SO MUCH STILL TO COMPLETE in terms of assignments.  There are two full weeks until Thanksgiving Break, and once that comes and goes, there are five full days left of the semester!  That is not a not a lot time.  However, along with everyone else on this campus, I signed up for this mission of the fall 2014 semester, so we all knew what was coming for us.

When this time of the semester rolls around, usually I will hear students say they are so stressed out or just want to cry themselves to sleep.  But in reality, I actually have to admit that I like this time of the semester. I perform at my highest level when I am organized and know my own routine with academics.  Sure, I currently have three research papers, nine hours of a practicum to observe, writing the final report for the practicum and a mound of statistics homework left to do, but it is possible!

As a commuter student, I know that I do not have the opportunity to just go back to my room whenever I want to hide from classmates and study alone, so I improvise.

I can say I do love to study on campus because I have an excuse to be out of the house and away from distractions.  Sure, that doesn’t mean I won’t have distractions on campus but none in relation to family.  I usually prefer to study in the library, where we have multiple quiet study rooms with a table and chairs for just one person to occupy or multiple as a group.  I prefer these rooms, and since there are only four (at least that I know of), it is helpful to come on campus early so that you have access to one, rather than waiting for people to leave.

For those days when I do not have the chance to snag a room, I tend to head over to the Kinkel Center, a larger room for sure but over there are multiple computers, a printer and people I can talk to for varying topics.  Just the other day I had an appointment with the director of the Kinkel Center, Dr. Pousson, over helpful tips with time management and my mound of unfinished homework.  In addition to the director, the Kinkel Center provides multiple tutors for students on practically any subject offered at Fontbonne University.  When a tutor is not currently available for a particular subject, they will make sure to find one right away.

Now for study tips. This is hard for me to say mainly because I know how I work best in terms of retaining information compared another person.  When it comes to difficult material and a lot of it at one time, lately I have been using notecards to write out the information as well as practice taking in the information at the same time.  While I spend time writing down the information, reading the material as I have to write it down, I am studying at the same time.  I can also review the notecards later for more practice.  If a freshman or incoming student were to ask my advice on what he or she could do themselves, I would say to take the time to see how you learn best.  Invest special time in yourself and see what you like most and go from there.  But it is important to make sure and take that time, rather than just cramming last minute, because are you really actually learning the material then?