Future Teacher

by Fontbonne University on November 3, 2014

in Career Paths,New & Future Students

Fontbonne University offers a wide range of major and minor options – covering many different career paths. The path I decided on was education! I am pursuing a degree in elementary education in hopes of teaching second or third grade after I graduate. The reason I chose elementary education as my major is because I want to inspire children and open their minds up to the possibilities they have ahead. I want to teach kids about the many different areas of knowledge from learning grammar to sciences to math to social studies. I love working with kids and I watching them learn how to accomplish new things; teaching is such a rewarding career. What made me want to go into teaching was working with children for the past three summers. I work for a program called Adventure Quest, and it is a day program for school-aged kids where we sings songs, go on field trips, do arts and crafts, play field games, learn about different careers and places around the world, and so much more!

Working with children can be challenging but it is also very exciting; you never know what you are going to get! Kids are so much fun because they keep you on your feet, they have an urge to learn new things, and their laughs are contagious! I would recommend the elementary education program here at Fontbonne because it is one of the most prevalent majors here. The small class sizes allow you to really get to know your classmates and professors so you are able to talk about in-depth topics and fully understand your class context. There are also many elementary schools around the Clayton, Missouri area so you are able to complete your practicum at a school of your preference. I would highly suggest coming to Fontbonne if you are interested in someday working in the field of education!