Acceptance of Diversity

in Campus Community,College Life,Extracurricular,Faith

Cultural Food Lab- Northern India

If I’ve learned one thing this year at Fontbonne, it’s cultural competence.  Cultural competence is one of the greatest qualities you can acquire to further your acceptance of the people and cultures around you.  There are may ways to “culture” yourself… Books, forming new friendships & acquaintances and even trying the food of a culture you’ve never tried before.  In my class, Food Pathways of Diverse Cultures, we dive into recipes from places like the Middle East, the Americas,  India and Africa.  It’s truly amazing what happens when you are exposed to traditional foods from cultures other than your own.  I am realizing how much culture is out there that I have yet to experience.  This is an exciting realization for me, because I am passionate about lifelong learning.

The more we learn about cultures and belief systems outside our own bubble, the more likely we are to whole heartedly accept the diverse population we live in. Sometimes we see the world through a narrow scope,  but there is more to see than anyone can even imagine.  If you feel your view may be narrow, try widening it just a smidge, and open up to something you’ve never experienced before 🙂 I promise you won’t regret it!