5 Foods to Fuel Your Study Session

Many things can effect your ability to study, like where you are or who you are with. But most importantly, what you eat can make or break a successful study session. Food can affect not only your ability to focus, but also your ability to retain whatever information you are trying to cram into your brain. So before you reach for that bag of Cheetos or Red Bull, consider these options. Here are my top choices when I need a little reboot.

1. Nuts

Nuts are an excellent source of Vitamin E, which helps keep your brain sharp and focused. They also contain a good amount of protein, helping you feel full and satisfied. Not to mention they contain omega-3 to help your memory. A bag of almonds ($4.50 at Trader Joe’s!!) are so easy to keep in your bag for whenever stomach grumbles interrupt you train of thought. Stick to about a handful of raw (not salted or flavored) nuts, like almonds,walnuts, cashews, and pistachios.

2. Hot Chocolate

I don’t know what it is about hot drinks, but they always help me to snap out of a foggy mood. Most people tend to guzzle down cup after cup of coffee, but too much caffeine can overstimulate the brain and make it even harder to focus. Hot chocolate still has a bit of caffeine to perk you up without the over kill. And as the days are getting colder, it is great to keep you toasty too!

3. Vegetable Soup

I am one of those odd people who tend to gravitate towards a carrot over a cupcake when I am stressed. Not that I just eat perfect all the time (trust me, I don’t!) It is more that when I am stressed, sweets and junk food tend to make me feel worse than feel better. Vegetables are rock starts when it comes to helping you study. All those vitamins and minerals keep you on your A-game and working for hours. As I said before, hot also tends to help me focus. So, soups are always a go-to!

4. Greek Yogurt with Granola

Sometimes, you just need a little crunch. Get that and a whole bunch more (nutrient-wise) with Greek yogurt and a spoonful of granola. The protein in the yogurt and fiber in the granola will help you concentrate. I also add a spoonful of chia seeds for the omega-3, to help with memory.

5. Water

Don’t deprive that ingenious cranium of life’s most basic necessity! Being dehydrated can immensely effect your concentration. Not to mention cause headaches and tire your eyes (how can you study your notes if you can’t see them!?) I always make sure to have a bottle of water next to me during any study session.

What are your favorite study snacks? Post them below!!

Also, check out my newly renovated nutrition blog, The Wholey Trinity. Be sure to like it on Facebook and follow me on Twitter!

Happy Studying!!