Where I See Myself in Ten Years

in After College,Career Paths

I’ve always heard that it’s best to live in the present, and focusing too much on past and future events isn’t healthy for the mind.  While I do agree that focusing too much on the past is typically unproductive, sometimes it is productive to have an idea of what your future may look like.

Now, I’m no psychic, but I can tell you without a doubt that your future may not end up exactly as you planned…and that’s okay!  Planning still serves a purpose. It gets you thinking about what you want to do post-college, and possibly for the rest of your life.

For me, today is the perfect day to discuss where I see myself in ten years, because today I had my first real-client, nutrition counseling experience through my Medical Nutrition Therapy class.  Thankfully, other dietetics classes have prepared me for this experience. It was nothing brand new to me, but living the true client-counselor experience really gave me a fuzzy feeling inside. I absolutely loved it.

In ten years, I see myself working as a Health Coach in an outpatient setting or possibly a clinical setting. Health Coaching is a type of goal-oriented interviewing that helps motivate clients to create their own goals. More often than not, when people create goals themselves, they follow through with them. When someone other than the client creates their goals for them, it makes those goals less personal and less meaningful. If I could help my future clients make even the simplest of positive changes in their lives, I would feel accomplished with my day. I know I could do something like this for the rest of my life.

Fontbonne has helped me prepare for my future in so many ways. Since developing my own healthy habits, I have always known that I wanted to do something with nutrition, but I didn’t know exactly what to do. The dietetics program at Fontbonne does a phenomenal job at letting you explore different career choices out that are out there. I believe I have found my emphasis in the dietetics world. It’s nice to know that, even in the same major, there are so many different ways my classmates and I will be creating positive impacts on the health of communities and individuals.