Why I love St. Louis

by Fontbonne University on October 7, 2014

in In Saint Louis

If someone were to ask me, why I love St. Louis, I am not too sure if I could give exactly one particular reason as to why. I can think of a few reasons though, such as the big town, small city feeling; short commutes; several forms of entertainment close in proximity; there are so many events that so on throughout the year across the city and much more!

When someone asks where I live, I always ask them in return, “Well, do you know where Ted Drewes is?” Usually I will have a positive answer in return, and so then I tell them that I live right by there. It is pretty great to have the privilege to use a national landmark as a location to explain where you live. What could be better than that? No I do not go and eat Ted Drewes every evening or multiple nights a week, rather just a few times a year. I don’t want to get sick of its good taste and quality!

Since I live in a great location, and by a great neighborhood park as well as Roman Catholic parish, I have the availability to get around pretty well. Whenever I need to take a drive somewhere, all I need to do is plan for a 15-25 minute drive. I would say that that is not a long driving distance, rather just the perfect amount almost. There are also plenty of highways for St. Louis, about five total, or else I counted incorrectly. Though I use just about three of those high ways mainly, along with several main roads to get to places. Now having grown up in the city of St. Louis, I can say that I know a fair amount of the back roads to get to and from places when other roads are backed up with traffic. Now I will be honest and say that St. Louis does not have the best drives year round, but I think that practically all cities may have this predicament, since all of us are held responsible for our behaviors towards others.

I know that I cannot speak for other cites when I talk about attractions but I know St. Louis has several free and paid attractions all over the area. In addition to these attractions, there are events that are held year round, or depending on the season, if you are willing to seek them out. Most of us have heard of the great frozen custard treat – Ted Drews – so I know that I don’t have to speak much on that topic. There is the St. Louis Science Center which is free and open to the public, even though parking is $10, I can share a secret. Being that if you park across the highway at the planetarium, parking is free, though I am not sure how many people may know about this. When you park at the planetarium, over in Forest Park, you can take the bridge back over to the main Science Center building, what a deal! There is also, near to Forest Park, the Chess Hall of Fame, which I have heard is quite an interesting place to go and visit which not many may know about either. In addition to the Chess Hall of Fame, there is the Soccer Hall of Fame, which is close to Forest Park but more near Tower Grove Park. Now this last attraction that I know is present year round would be the Star Walk of Fame down in the Loop, literally on the Delmar Loop. I would walk this with my mom as a kid, and basically hop along from star to star of famous people. I enjoyed myself and the opportunity to learn new names of people I may not have known become that time, especially people from St. Louis who have made an impact on the city.

Going back to the seasonal attractions, I will take a moment to advertise about a local known attraction to the St. Louis Hills area, as well as those who have heard from our local news stations. This attraction only becomes known mostly in the winter months when everyone is looking for places to watch Christmas lights and having quality bonding time as a family. This attraction is on the 6500 block of Murdoch Ave, where EVERYONE and I mean everyone on that block has a house with lights on it, but there is much more than that. I know someone who lights up in Christmas lights, attaching her electrical cord to a lamp post to show her dedication to the neighborhood. The lamp posts have lights around them, the neighborhood banners are decorated and much more! Now I can say that I actually am part of this neighborhood that does all of the Christmas lights, though I am about 2 or so blocks down from the main extravaganza. I love living in the Metro St. Louis City area, and not in the county, mainly because I feel I am truly a part of the city. I am not saying that anyone who does not live in St. Louis City is not part of the city as well, no, that is not what I am saying at all.

I could continue to go on further about the reasons as to why I love my hometown, though I also know I can lead you to a list of many opportunities to enjoy this lovely city too. Below is a link that I actually use to create my bucket-lists for the summer each year, along with several other websites but I am just providing one for now. In addition to this website link, I have provided the link that Fontbonne University uses for students to see and learn about the attractions around us here in Clayton for more information.

http://www.stlmag.com/best-of-SLM/101-must-dos/101-Things-Every-St-Louisan-Must-Do/

www.fontbonne.edu/stlouis

Also, I am posting a picture of the woman that puts on so many lights for the Candy Cane lane attraction, which has several of the lights in the background, hope you enjoy!Candy Cane Lane