Do what you love.

by Fontbonne University on October 30, 2014

in Academics,College Life

Coming into college, I was scared about picking a major right off that bat. However, I knew that I was really interested in English and it’s what I love to do. I now find myself writing essays about pieces of literature that interest me. I honestly couldn’t have picked a better major. I chose this major because I’m a certified book nerd. I won the reading student of the year award my senior year of high school, basically the book nerd of the year award. I have loved reading since I was little; it has become something that I’m super passionate about. Also, I chose this major because of the intensive writing courses. I love challenging myself when writing a paper. I love constructing a paper out of an idea in your head, then making it cohesive. It astounds me how one can use words to provoke a message and I love every minute of my major because of it. I love the material we read in my classes. Right now, we’re reading a novel and analyzing said novel. It’s amazing how you can view literature from a way and develop an idea about it. I love my professors in the major, they allow you to create your own ideas. They allow you to use your own words.

I’m a strong believer in doing what you love. If you love reading and writing and are passionate about it, I highly suggest you become an English major. It’s a lot of writing and hard work, but it’s all totally worth it. I’ve learned how to look at literature differently as an English major. I’ve learned that words are used deliberately and the author probably used it for a reason. Nothing is always something can be confusing in a way, but analyzing literature makes you look at the world differently. Literature is a direct link to our culture and society. You can develop ideas about both of those when you read a piece of literature. No literature is the same, each piece is unique. When reading a piece from the 1950’s, you will find something different than reading a poem from the 1800’s. Literature shows how the world has developed and changed. I’m done with my rant about how awesome my major is, but I really do recommend this major to anyone who loves to read.

I will leave you with a quote from Steve Jobs on the topic of doing what you love, have an awesome week!

“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” -Steve Jobs