Home Away From Home

by Fontbonne University on October 2, 2014

One of my favorite things about moving into a dorm at the beginning of the school year is the fact that I get a new space to decorate! It’s something I can make my own! I love to take a bland and boring dorm room with white walls and white floors and turn it into my own personal home away from home.

Most of my ideas come from Pinterest which is such a great website to get inspiration from. (If I could be a professional pinner I would!) One thing that I learned from Pinterest and chose to incorporate into my dorm room this year was a dream catcher. I simply love the idea of it and thought what would be better than making one of my own? All I used was an embroidery hoop, a lace doily, feathers, beads and some string. (All materials can be found at Michaels Craft Stores.) The dream catcher was so easy to make and adds a pop of color against the white walls of my dorm!

Some dorm decorating ideas however, just pop in my head! For example, before I moved into my dorm freshman year, I created a collage of pictures on a poster board that I could hang in my room. I printed pictures of my friends and family and some of my favorite quotes and glued them on a poster board. I hot glued ribbon on the back of the board so I could hang it on a command hook attached to the wall. It fills up a good amount of space and you can carry it with you from year to year! 

I hope I have inspired you to make your dorm room as cozy and comfy as I have made mine!