Fall at the Farmers Market

by Fontbonne University on October 20, 2014

in In Saint Louis,Uncategorized

The trees are finally starting to change colors and the air is getting a little more brisk- fall is here! I absolutely love fall weather and everything that goes along with it: pumpkins, apple cider, Halloween, apple orchards, and the farmers marketYesterday I went to the Soulard Farmers Market in St. Louis and it was SO much fun. The market began in 1779 as a big grassy area where farmers could come and sell their local fruit, vegetables and livestock; today, the Soulard Famers Market is one of the largest in the area and sells a wide variety of items such as candles, carpets, fruit, vegetables, baked goods, spices, scarves, and so much more!

The atmosphere of this farmers market was lively and exciting. There was a live band playing, people walking around and vendors trying to sell their products to the people passing by. Some even used little riddles, like “a tisket, a tasket, you know you want my basket!” that one lady sang regarding her basket of broccoli. I spent a few hours there while I walked around the main buildings and sipped hot apple cider. The prices were amazing too! The fruit and vegetables were very inexpensive- I want to go there from now on to do my grocery shopping! I purchased some apples, pumpkin bread, a candle, and a pomegranate. I would highly suggest going to the historical Soulard Farmers Market if you are in the St. Louis area and looking for a great time and great food!

The market is open year-round Wednesday-Saturday with the following times:

Wednesday: 8am-5pm

Thursday: 8am-5pm

Friday: 7am-5pm

Saturday: 7am-5:50pm

For more information about the Soulard Famers Market, click on the link: http://www.soulardmarket.com

IMG_6801 IMG_6808 IMG_6812 IMG_6833

IMG_6782 IMG_6835