Lauren

10 Years Later…

by Lauren on October 14, 2014

in Academics,After College

If there’s one thing I know, it’s that a lot can change. As kids we foresee a certain future for ourselves. After all, our teachers and parents used to ask us all the time, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”

Now us college students know that the future is a term that comes with a lot of baggage. Our future is not just a career but a place to live, a decent job, perhaps a family… All these things factor into our future and honestly, it can be a bit overwhelming. It is also pretty exciting, no doubt. And despite my previous hesitation when it came to the question “Where do you see yourself in 10 years?” I suddenly had a change of heart and reached for a pen and paper to plan out my life.

Fontbonne has already helped so much. Freshman year was a great year to explore, discover, and “feel out” what kind of path I wanted to take. I think we all have a general idea of what we want, and Fontbonne has helped me connect the dots. Maybe it is best put this way: I had to determine the “why” and Fontbonne helped me to determine the “how”.

I planned out the next nine years of my life (which would make me 29) and I tried to come to terms with reality. I considered the jobs that I would have, the money it would take to secure a small apartment if I shared it with a friend, etc. In ten years I will be 30. On the paper, I so cleverly labeled age 30 as “The Dream Job Years.”

In ten years, I hope to be working in a job, for a company, that I absolutely love. My dream is to be a Visual Development Artist for DreamWorks or Blue Sky. Working for a company like DreamWorks would mean moving to California. So, in ten years I see myself in California, hopefully living with a few friends, and working at DreamWorks, drawing, designing, and thinking for a living.

I can only hope that The Dream Job Years are good to me. At the very minimum, I want to be financially stable. I want to wake up and want to go to work.

I firmly believe that my Fontbonne degree will get me there. Sitting in my design classes I realized that I absolutely love what I’m doing. My teachers are excited to teach, and love what they do. I want to carry that knowledge with me and put it to good use. Fontbonne has already inspired me to do what I love. I can’t wait to see what the future brings!