Lauren

10 Years Later…

by Lauren on October 14, 2014

in Academics,After College

If there’s one thing I know, it’s that a lot can change. As kids we foresee a certain future for ourselves. After all, our teachers and parents used to ask us all┬áthe time, “What do you want to be when you grow up?”

Now us college students know that the future is a term that comes with a lot of baggage. Our future is not just a career but a place to live, a decent job, perhaps a family… All these things factor into our future and honestly, it can be a bit overwhelming. It is also pretty exciting, no doubt. And despite my previous hesitation when it came to the question “Where do you see yourself in 10 years?” I suddenly had a change of heart and reached for a pen and paper to plan out my life.

Fontbonne has already helped so much. Freshman year was a great year to explore, discover, and “feel out” what kind of path I wanted to take. I think we all have a general idea of what we want, and Fontbonne has helped me connect the dots. Maybe it is best put this way: I had to determine the “why” and Fontbonne helped me to determine the “how”.

I planned out the next nine years of my life (which would make me 29) and I tried to come to terms with reality. I considered the jobs that I would have, the money it would take to secure a small apartment if I shared it with a friend, etc. In ten years I will be 30. On the paper, I so cleverly labeled age 30 as “The Dream Job Years.”

In ten years, I hope to be working in a job, for a company, that I absolutely love. My dream is to be a Visual Development Artist for DreamWorks or Blue Sky. Working for a company like DreamWorks would mean moving to California. So, in ten years I see myself in California, hopefully living with a few friends, and working at DreamWorks, drawing, designing, and thinking for a living.

I can only hope that The Dream Job Years are good to me. At the very minimum, I want to be financially stable. I want to wake up and want to go to work.

I firmly believe that my Fontbonne degree will get me there. Sitting in my design classes I realized that I absolutely love what I’m doing. My teachers are excited to teach, and love what they do. I want to carry that knowledge with me and put it to good use. Fontbonne has already inspired me to do what I love. I can’t wait to see what the future brings!