Lauren

We Are the Revolution

by Lauren on September 23, 2014

in Our Causes

These were the words uttered by a woman at the People’s Climate March, held on Sunday at Kiener Plaza.

I thought that this would be appropriate topic to talk about. Firstly, because it is always an appropriate time to talk about climate change and its continuing impact on our environment, on our world. Secondly, because St. Louis plays a big part!

I attended the March with my sister on Sunday. I didn’t know what to expect, since I had never been to an event like this before. We walked a few blocks and then we stumbled upon it, Kiener Plaza overflowing with people. Environmental issues, at least in my mind, always seem to be overlooked. I suppose I expected a few dozen people. What I didn’t realize is that the People Climate March is a big deal. It serves to bring about awareness and demands change–namely, renewable energy. Renewable energy comes in all shapes and forms, such as solar, wind, even steam.

Displaying IMG_1819.jpeg

But perhaps the biggest connection I made while at the March was with a class I took at Fontbonne last year as a freshman. Culture and the Common Good opened my eyes to a lot of issues and reminded me to look outside of my own little box. So many people fear that they, as individual, cannot make a difference. Phrases I heard on Sunday were ones such as “quality of life” and “free will”, phrases that I also heard in class. It was amazing to experience like this and apply the knowledge that was instilled in my from Fontbonne!

At the end of the day, I had a smile on my face. I was a bit tired from marching, but ridiculously happy. It is amazing what we can do when we come together. We can improve our quality of life for ourselves and for others, in fact, it is our duty as citizens and advocates of the Earth. All we need is the will to do so.

And, what a brilliant thing to participate in something so close to home!

Displaying IMG_1794.jpeg

Images courtesy of Caitlin Zera