New people, new school.

by Fontbonne University on September 9, 2014

in Athletics,College Life

Freshman year is like a blank sheet of paper, you wield a pen waiting to make your mark on it. The question that burns into you is, “Who do I want to be?” That’s just the issue, you never know. You don’t know who you are, until you finally meet others. Until you finally surround yourself with people that you believe to be awesome.

I walked onto campus a little earlier than most freshman, being that I’m an athlete. The people I met on campus first were my team and that was an experience. In any sport, you start off picturing the whole season, what it will be like. The first day I met my team, we had a “heated discussion” over the pronunciation of Reese’s. Right off the bat, I knew these people were fun. I knew that I didn’t have to worry about being an odd individual because, sorry guys, everybody on my team has one thing that makes them “weird” and I think that’s the beautiful thing about people. I’ve heard that the people at Fontbonne were welcoming, but I didn’t, nor could I ever, imagine I would hit it off with people so quickly. I walked out of practice that day feeling a little less anxious, I knew I had a guaranteed support system. Athletics are funny like that, they turn out to be your family away from home.

My first impressions of Fontbonne University weren’t the buildings, they were the people. The people here are so welcoming and accepting towards what makes you, you. They don’t try to fix you, they enhance you. They make you into the person you were meant to be, not who they want you to be. The freedom to be yourself can really do wonders for someone and the first people you meet can make you feel like you chose the right place.