My Favorite Things About Saint Louis

by Alumni Posts on September 24, 2014

in In Saint Louis

Despite the fact that I was born in Saint Louis and grew up only 45 minutes from the city (on the Illinois side), I never really got to know Saint Louis until I started at Fontbonne.

After adjusting to transferring to Fontbonne, I started to explore Saint Louis more than I had before.  I’ve finally realize how much this city has to offer, and I’m loving it!  Here are some of my favorite things about Saint Louis:

The Concerts

Saint Louis has a TON of concert halls, so it’s perfect for music lovers.  I’ve been to more concerts and music festivals than I can count, in Saint Louis, since the age of 14.  A few of the concert halls in the area include: The Pageant, The Fabulous Fox, Peabody Opera House, The Firebird, and Off Broadway.  The Verizon Wireless Amphitheater also holds many bigger concerts or music festivals.  

The Food

I wish I could stay I’ve been to, even a fraction, of the restaurants in the Saint Louis area- unfortunately I have not.  What I can say,  is that whatever type of food you love is almost guaranteed to be in found in Saint Louis!  Sauce Magazine is a great source for places to try in Saint Louis (Fontbonne usually has this magazine in the front doorway of the library if you want to check it out).  I also love the checking out Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s when I need to stock my fridge with healthy options.

The Variety

This applies to Saint Louis overall.  Coming from Southern Illinois, variety wasn’t exactly what I grew up with.  A variety of culture, food, people, traditions, and beliefs is refreshing.  This semester I’m diving into things I’ve never been exposed to before.  I will be visiting a Buddhist temple for my World Religions class and writing a paper on my experience.  In my Food Pathways of Diverse Groups I will be cooking foods from different religions and cultures around the world all semester long.  Sometimes it can be hard to tackle new experiences head on, but I believe it’s one of the best things a person can do to be a well-rounded, culturally-sensitive person.  Learn something new every day!